Entrepreneur in Residence
Entrepreneur in Residence Programme
FOR ENTREPRENEURS….BY ENTREPRENEURS
You’re a top-tier leader, with several years in a corporate environment, but you know you want to be an entrepreneur: to start and grow a leading tech-enabled business based in Africa. But where to start?
Silvertree is looking for world-leading people to develop, launch and build big concepts for reaching African consumers in innovative ways.
Your journey starts with a two- to three-month residency at Silvertree Internet Holdings, a low-commitment opportunity to develop and plan a big concept. Our Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) programme is perfect for entrepreneurs wanting to take the plunge, but unsure where to start. Your residency could typically lead to a founder and CEO role in the startup you’ve designed.
Silvertree Internet Holdings builds and invests in entrepreneurs, who build new economy businesses targeting South African and African consumers. Silvertree entrepreneurs focus on rapid, disciplined and number-driven execution, with a strong operational focus, implementing global-proven business models that take advantage of technology. Silvertree’s team has deep experience in starting and growing Internet startups, and the portfolio includes a growing range of leading online brands. We walk the journey with our entrepreneurs to give you the best possible chance of building Africa’s next Unicorn business.
About the Role
During your residency, you will develop a go-to-market or launch plan for a new business. We have a set of business models we have researched and are excited about, or you can motivate for an idea of your own at concept or pilot stage.
Your activities will include:
- Understanding and learning from similar companies globally
- Testing the fit of the business model for local consumers (South Africa or Africa-wide) through lean market research
- Building a business case and 3-year plan, with initial funding requirement
- Identifying and meeting key partners (suppliers, customers, marketing accelerators, etc)
- Building the launch team, especially meeting co-founders, with Silvertree support
- Defining and testing the initial approach for the product, marketing, operations, technology
- Building a roadmap and timeline, and “pitching” it for launch!
You will work closely with a Silvertree partner, and take advantage of expertise and connections across our portfolio and network. This includes functional support on finance, technology, legal, marketing, operations and general analyst support, as well as Silvertree-wide marketing partnerships and synergies.
Entrepreneurship is not an office or 9-5 job, and as employee number one of your company, you should expect to take substantial personal risk, to start from nothing and get hands-on into the details, to work harder than ever before, and to be willing to do whatever it takes to create success, over many years to come.
Key qualifications and skills:
- Tertiary qualification in any discipline
- Several years of top-tier experience:
- leader in a strong brand-focused company e.g. FMCG, services, retail, and/or
- past entrepreneur of a successful company, and/or
- management consultant at a top consultancy, e.g., McKinsey/BCG/Bain, and/or
- similar experience elsewhere
- Several years of people management and team leadership experience
- Proven analytical skills and data-driven approach
- Excellent communication skills
Highly beneficial: experience reaching consumers (marketing, sales, product, etc.)
- A moderate stipend to cover living expenses
- A launchpad for you to develop a concept, build a team, secure funding, and launch the future powerhouse you’ve been dreaming about, with route to founder and CEO of your company.