CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
Cape Town – Build a Silicon Valley-style startup in Africa! Are you a top-tier leader looking to build a disruptive business and create a lasting legacy, using technology and disciplined execution to change the way people do business across the continent?
We're looking for a FOUNDER and CEO to lead a new Pan-African service-focused startup, headquartered in Cape Town and aggressively rolling out a common model, proven elsewhere in the world, into leading African markets.
You need to be young and hungry to create something new and entrepreneurial, with a track record of leading people in frontier markets.
About the role:
The role is to drive the creation and growth of a B2B and B2B2C service-oriented startup into key African markets. Over coming months and years, the role will involve the following activities:
- Phase 1: Building on initial research, refine and detail the business model and go-to-market strategy for the startup, based on leading global examples but modified for relevance to Africa
- Phase 2: With Silvertree support, recruit the rest of the founding team and start the build-test-refine cycle for the business model
- Phase 3: Launch in key markets in South, West and East Africa, with headquarters and product team based in Cape Town, and sales, marketing and customer relationships teams to be recruited in each target market
- Phase 4: Drive disciplined execution and rapid growth across the continent, with frequent travel and careful talent management in each location.
Key qualifications and skills:
- Tertiary qualification of at least Bachelors level, and strong history of academic and personal accomplishment
- Experience in a frontier market (Africa, S/SE Asia, etc.) in market expansion, strategic or similar role
- Strong desire and willingness to travel to African countries frequently
- Strong people management skills, including recruiting and managing teams of varying profiles
- A thinker and innovator as well as an executor willing to get hands-on
- African background and experience
- Experience with new economy/internet
- As founder and owner, most of your long-term compensation will come from a large equity stake
- Salary will cover daily expenses and will depend on the candidate’s profile
- Some personal investment into the business is highly encouraged to get "skin in the game," but not necessarily required.
Silvertree Internet Holdings builds and invests in tech businesses targeting African consumers, with a growing portfolio of high-growth online companies. We focus on rapid, disciplined, capital-efficient and number-driven execution, with a strong operational focus, implementing global-proven business models that take advantage of technology. Our "For Entrepreneurs, By Entrepreneurs" model matches top-tier founders and leaders with high-potential business models, and then ensures success by providing funding, early stage support with IT, legal and finance execution, marketing acceleration, infrastructure, networks and partnerships.